Paarl Museum is housed in an old Cape Dutch House which is one of the earliest in Paarl.

The Dutch Reformed congregation of Drakenstein (Paarl) was established in 1691 at the insistence of the newly arrived Huguenots. Ground for the building of a parsonage was purchased there in 1714 and the first building was probably built in 1715.

The Cape Dutch house was built in 1787 in the traditional U-shape and still retains the original fixed-transom windows and most of the internal doors. The gables and front door were changed during major restoration in 1937 when the dilapidated house was purchased for museum purposes.

1938 was the 250th anniversary of the arrival of the Huguenots in SA and the people of Paarl, many of them descendants of the Huguenots, wanted to create a Huguenot Museum in their memory.

Many family treasures were donated to the museum at that time. The museum houses one of the best collections of Cape Armoires and a complete Cape Dutch kitchen. The history of local resistance against Apartheid is also displayed.